Reincarnated As A Mother

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Birthday Fun

My friend Darlene said that once you get over the hill, you start gaining speed.  Boy, isn't that the truth.  It's amazing how fast this year has gone and that (sigh) I'm another year older.  I had an awfully high numbered birthday the other day - - and I must say, Byron and the kids made it pretty painless.
The girls disappeared into their rooms, pooled their piggy bank money and announced to me that they would be taking me out to lunch at Baja Fresh... but I'd have to drive.
 We postponed the big lunch date and instead headed up to the mountains for some playing in the snow.
We got a babysitter for Kean (thanks Riley and Deb)!
The snow was unbelievable.  The scenery spectacular.
The company?  Well, let's just say, we won't be taking Reese snowmobiling again until she's like 30.
She nearly fell asleep in the car on the way up to Smith's Ferry/Cougar Mountain.
When we arrived and while Byron was unloading the sleds, she asked me if I'd make a little bed with the blankets in the snow and if she could take a nap while we went "nomobiling".
Being the mean parents that we are, we didn't leave her napping in the snow and made her ride with us.
There were two 'breaks' from the whining and that was when she actually fell asleep while riding on the snowmobile!  Here she is in the sled.
 We guesstimate there was at least three feet of fresh snow-- it was gorgeous.

 I like this picture because the face warmers cover everyone up so you can't see Reese's very unhappy face.
 I stayed on the trail but Byron went hot dogging through the powder and was completely covered and drenched!
Really, in spite of Miss Grouchy Goose, we had a blast.  On our way back down the trail at the end of the day, we passed a guy covered in powder (he'd clearly gone off trail) and get this, he had only one arm.  I marveled to Byron when we got to the truck... and he sure set me straight.   He said "that's nothing, I've been riding with one hand, Holland hanging on the back of me and holding onto Reese stretched out asleep."  Poor Byron.  We did have fun though.
And he even took me out to dinner at my favorite restaurant with some of my favorite cousins.
Thanks everyone for the many birthday wishes. 

1 comments:

Marti said...

AHhhhhhhhhhhhh, so this is how the big day played out! So much better to see all the pictures and how the day went on here than to keep pestering you on email! :)