Reincarnated As A Mother

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Happy Adjusted Age Birthday to You....

Today's kind of a crazy anniversary. September 15th-- one year ago-- was my due date for Kean. So today is what his Docs consider to be his 1 year birthday (adjusted age). All I know is I'm not making another birthday cake. One go at a fire truck cake was enough for me in my lifetime. I won't focus on what he can't do YET... I'll just let you know all the fun things he can do so far. You know, with my other children, I always appreciated each cute little milestone or ability they mastered but with Kean, I don't know quite how to put it-- other than to say with every little thing he accomplishes, I rejoice. He works so incredibly hard to do what comes naturally for most other babies. I tell ya, he's living up to that old name he had while he was cooking in my belly: Spartacus. He's quite the warrior.

Today was another therapy day. Maureen worked him pretty hard on repeating the motions he would use for crawling-- hoping that one day it will all click. Notice Reese on her belly in the hall. Even though she had a friend over to play today, she has a hard time leaving Kean for just a moment. Here she is showing him how to crawl. And he actually seemed to be paying attention.
He did the best he's ever done. So we're making progress each week. Just look at that form. I'd give him a 10 if I weren't a biased judge.
I told you he works hard. Pure grit, I tell ya.
So at 13 months old (or 12 months adjusted age) here are a few of his talents:
  • He can sit on his own for a few minutes.
  • He can push his chest and head up with his arms and look around.
  • He can roll and roll and roll-- clear across the room and back and forth.
  • He loves to eat (especially vanilla ice cream).
  • He has graduated from breast milk (my personal pumping hell has finally come to an end and Byron can no longer say I'm part Holstein) and formula and is adjusting to the milk you buy at the grocery store.
  • He gets so excited to see me in the morning that he just hugs and hugs my neck (can I tell you how much I love this?).
  • Sometimes when I'm burping him, he pats my back.
  • He chatters. Sometimes he jabbers so loudly, the girls get agitated because he actually drowns them out!

I'm telling you, he is the sweetest, most loving, most even tempered, most content, most....... Well, you get the idea. I've said it before, he's pure joy. I remember the father of a Down Syndrome boy telling me (right after I had Kean) that he would be the joy of my life. I had no idea the amount of love awaiting me. At the time, I numbly nodded and tearfully whispered, I know. I know I'll feel that way someday. I just didn't know it would happen in such a short amount of time. I feel very blessed.

5 comments:

Anita said...

What an awesome post! It's great to hear about all Kean's milestones. All baby milestones are fun, but his a truly special. Most of all, though, remembering your feelings from only a year ago, it's even better to hear how you are experiencing everything we always knew you would. He is truly a blessing, and let's not forget...a miracle!

Marti said...

Anita is right; this was a wonderful post for us to read.

It's amazing being allowed this far inside your heart, Lonni.

Happy Birthday Kean!

Stephanie said...

You are very lucky...so blessed. He is such a beautiful boy. I love the pictures!

Melissa Snyder said...

What a sweet boy! I just loved watching him at church today. It just made me smile watching him smile and interact with you. I could just feel that amazing amount of love you have for him. He is so blessed to be in your family. He is changing hearts, and he is changing lives.
I sure miss not coming to see you. I better make it over quick so we can visit. I am glad that everyone else is in school and all is going well. Love ya!

The Good Life on Less! said...

He is such a cutie pie ... and I can see that "eye of the tiger." Happy one year ... adjusted age! :)