Reincarnated As A Mother

Monday, September 20, 2010

A Guilty Conscience = A New Mailbox

We woke up the other morning to find this. Ouch. It seems a young man was coming down the hill at 4a.m. and "lost control".

After hitting our mailbox, he cut across the road, took out the neighbor's fence and crash-landed in to their horse pasture.
The police immediately knew who the kid was... because he left quite the calling card-- he left his truck in the pasture and took off on foot. The cops towed his truck and went a callin' to his home. I guess his dad answered the door (just after 4am) fully dressed and ready for the day-- but had no idea where his son was at that hour. Hmmmmm.....
My best guess is he was hiding somewhere-- drying out!
So poor Byron schlepped to Home Depot to buy a new mailbox. This is the 3rd time we've had to replace the darn thing (due to wacky drivers)! And we live out in the country!!!
Here's the good news. The next day, I was coming home and lo and behold, there, working on the neighbor's fence was a young man and his father. I stopped, rolled down my window and asked him if he was the one who took out the fence. He sheepishly replied yes. I then asked him if he'd be repairing our mailbox next. He was surprised and shocked. Get this, he had no idea he'd smashed into our mailbox. (See my theory above). Long story, short, the very next day, he installed the new box and left us a check to pay for the cost of the box.

2 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

It seems he has a good Dad ... I'm glad he fixed his mess!

Marti said...

That is some GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED parenting! I like it!

By the way, I like your new widget that clocks my visit on the side of your page.

"A visitor from Alexandria, VA just clicked on Girl World Invaded. I love that!