Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, It's the Birthday Boy!

Talk about milestones. This is a biggie! Kean is the big one! We actually had his birthday party last night (on his birthday eve) since his cousins were in town from Texas. I made the fire truck cake-- it just seemed so appropriate after the happenings of the past few weeks!

He was spoiled rotten and got the cutest gifts (and if you notice, he had lots and lots of help opening his presents.
Before the big party, Byron took a few pics of him with his adoring fans. That's Roxy, our rabbit in the cage behind Reese.

It's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that it was just one year ago, that he was still little Spartacus fighting in the NeoNatal Intensive Care Unit and we were reeling with the news that he might have Down Syndrome.

Last year at this time, my pillow was more like a soggy sponge. I was scared out of my mind and mourning the loss of the dreams I had for my son. I could barely walk, Byron and I were exhausted mentally and the best word to use to describe how we were feeling is NUMB. We were the walking wounded-- okay, well maybe he was the walking wounded. I was more like the wheelchair wounded.
But oh, what perspective one gains in a year.
Kean is healthy now, an absolute joy in our home and I can already see what a loving impact he's having on those around us. Everything is as it should be.
Happy birthday my sweet, sweet boy. Here's to many, many more!

5 comments:

Anita said...

Happy Birthday, Kean!!

Elizabeth said...

Amazing what a year can do for the ones living the experience everyday!

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday sweet Kean!
I can't wait to meet you and share in the love which has so inspired many of your Mom and Dad's friends.
Lonni and Byron, you are amazing, and the girls...not enough words on the planet to express the love they so unconditionally exhibit for their brother.
Much love to all of you. Enjoy this very special event!
Cindy

Marti said...

I can't believe you brought that up again.

It's still a sore spot that "Spartacus" is nowhere on that birth certificate. :(

The Good Life on Less! said...

Wow ... very impressive cake! Since Eli is reading this with me, I'm now on the hook for one! :)

It really is wild that a year has past ... he really looks like the sweetest little joy!

Happy 1st birthday Nathan Kean!